Monday 2 April 2018

Chile: Zanahoria


A few kilometres out of the town of Chos Malal there is a monumental statue celebrating the halfway mark of route 40. We had made it halfway, but weather-wise had missed the chance to continue further South, where the cold of the Antarctic winter was already making its presence known. The crisp steel cut map of the Americas is upside down, markedly pointing out that South America is not Under any other country. The towering flag pole is also purposely curved possibly symbolising both the curve of the earth and the forces of the powerful winds that blow across the Southern part of Argentina. We turn West at Las Lajas, having failed again to withdraw any cash from the ATM. Our bank card is only recognised by itself in the cities where the international banks have ATMs. The local and national banks/ATMs flash up ‘invalid’ and cash withdrawals have been difficult in Argentina, however paying by card is acceptable at most supermarkets, fuelstops and restaurants. Our friends had kindly swopped some Arg pesos for Chilean pesos and we had a coin for the tunnel soon after the border crossing. As they had gone on holiday, we were invited to empty the fridge of consumables that wouldn’t last. A bag full of red cabbage, cucumbers, ham, apples, carrots and a gem squash were bungied onto the panniers, ready for a delicious vegetable supper stirfry. We climb from an altitude of 446m to 1900, passing through twisted upheaved boulders and a forest of ‘monkey-puzzle’ trees, watch Cranes and Herons mingling in a mountain top pool before reaching the barriers, where we are handed a scrappy piece of paper on which the guard has noted our time of arrival, plus make, model and registration number. We park, dismount, gather the all-important folder of papers and make our way to ‘Entrada’.
Check, Check, Stamp, Stamp: Immigration Done.
Next desk: Check, Check, Stamp, Stamp: Customs Done.
B wandered off to find a chair. His ribs are taking strain. In my best Spanish I explain why he needs a chair: ‘Costella Fractura’, I say and continue filling out two forms that have been thrust into my hand, one for each us but I fill  out both, because B cannot really stand at  the counter anymore. ‘Anything to Declare? No, No, No I tick all the No boxes.
And then there is the Bike Inspection.
 “Espagnole??”says the nice man.
 “No, Chiquito. Inglis” I say.
He says “Frutta?”
 And then I get carried  away, proudly showing off the extent  of  my Espagnole vocab: ”bebida, comedor, por favour, gracias, carne”. I proudly rattle off a string of words and turn to the seated B asking “what’s that  funny word  for Carrot? Zed  something?”
Half listening he replies “ we’ve got carrots in that bag, actually we’ve got a lot of fruit and vege in that bag.”
Then it registers. He’s not testing my Spanish speaking capabilities, he’s asking me if we are carrying any fruit or vege. STRICTLY not allowed to cross from Arg into Chile.  I grab the bag,  hand  it  to him with  many  apologies “Sorry, Sorry, Non Comprehendo”. Out comes the  lovely red cabbage and all our potential dinner, taken away somewhere. And then I get given the form back. I cross out the Nothing to Declare and tick the Yes, Fruit and Veg to declare. This form is now invalid.
Back to the office, new clean form: Name, Passport, Date of Birth, ANYTHING TO DECLARE? Yes, I TICK , ALTHOUGH THEORETICALLY SPEAKING NOW THAT THEY HAVE TAKEN IT AWAY I DON’T REALLY HAVE ANYTHING TO DECLARE. Better not push my luck!
I hand over the form, big apologetic smiles, we get the empty bag back and with helmets on, wave goodbye. The man at the Chile gate wants the scrap of paper we received an hour ago, which I stuffed somewhere? But where? Too many pockets, bags and wallets have been opened and closed, but at last it’s found and we are on our way.
“ Zanahoria” B shouts
“What?”
Zanahoria, That’s Carrots”
“Oh, Carrots” I say, “ Zanahoria, I remember that now”.









No comments:

Post a Comment